First newsletter – September 2021admin
Please, click here to get a full preview of our newsletter
1. SURFBIO at a glance
Understanding the interactions of the colloids (microorganisms and biomolecules) with surfaces and between themselves is a key factor that can lead to improvements in several fields, such as the biotechnology industry or the development of nano-carriers for drug delivery. These interactions can be studied and analysed by applying different tools and techniques.
From the Jožef Stefan Institute, institute, Slovenia´s leading scientific research institute together with five top research & innovation partners across Europe, we are creating an innovation hub to creating an innovation hub to study microbe-surface.
3. Project objectives
The SURFBIO Innovation hub will offer new, industry-oriented, research services opened to industry and institutions, covering all the needs in only one Hub, and collecting the activities together.
4. Project website and social media
5. Virtual meetings
- Kick off Meeting: On December 10th 2020 the SURFBIO Project Kick off Meeting was organized remotely by the JSI (project coordinator) with the participation of all the partners involved in the project (UBU, WUR, UGHENT, HZDR and AXIA) and the European Commission. During the meeting, work package leaders had the opportunity to present the working plan for the successful implementation of SURFBIO project.
- 3M MEETING: On March 11st 2021 the SURFBIO 3rd month meeting was held remotely. All partners took the opportunity to reflect on the progress so far and plan for the next phase of the SURFBIO project.
- Monthly WP2 Meeting: During the first 6 months of the project, 4 WP2 work meetings have been celebrated, where active discussions on the state of the art of the wet-dry methodologies for studying cell-surface and cell-cell interactions based on system biology techniques provided valuable hints towards the development of educational material on the topic.
6. SURFBIO Training school
Please register here before October 29th
7. Planning events
- ASM Microbe (part of World Microbe Forum. June 20-21, 2021
- Symposium on Bacterial Genetics and Ecology (BAGECO) 2022ASM Conference on Biofilms. November 14-18, 2021
- CSM conference June 14-17, 2021
- ECIS conference June 14-16, 2021 (Morocco)
- ECCMID. July 9-12, 2021
- ESOF 2022 Leiden (The Netherlands).
- EuroBiofilms August 31-September 3, 2022
- FEMS congress. June 20-24, 2021
- ISME conference March 21-24, 2021
- SETAC conference.May 3-6, 2021
- World Congress on Biotechnology and Microbiology 2022Congress and Exhibition on Applied Microbiology. October 25-26, 2021 Zurich (Switzerland).
- International Conference on Applied Microbiology and Microbial Biotechnology. May 24-25, 2022 (London, UK).
SURFBIO is promoting synergies with other EU funded projects, such as GREENER or DIAGONAL, as well as with localy funded research actions like NANOCOMP. Recently, the results of a study performed by researchers involved in these projects were presented in the “Euronanoforum 2021”.
9. Project partners
SURFBIO is a multidiscuplinary research innovation project involving 6 institutions from 5 European countries.