The JSI participated in the FEMS ConferenceSURFBIO
The Jožef Stefan Institute (JSI) participated in the FEMS Conference on Microbiology, that took place from 30th June to 2nd July, 2022 in Belgrade, Serbia. The purpose of the event was to support microbiologists with their work, promote the best in microbiology research and bring microbiologists together.
It was organised in close collaboration with the respective local regional society; and intercontinental, European, regional, and local scientists from all career stages participated: in total, there were 750 attendees, 120 online participants, 126 oral sessions and 450 online posters.
The JSI team presented five online posters and gave three oral presentations. In particular, Ales Lapanje, Tomaz Rijavec (senior researchers), Maja Zugan and Dmitrii Deev (ESRs) participated with the following posters:
- “Cationic polyelectrolytes demonstrate different architectures of cellular envelopes in G- bacteria”.
- “Probiotic bacteria from oral biofilms: characteristics and delivery approaches”.
- “Utilization of paper industry waste lignin for production of valuable compounds using bacterial cascade delignification”.
- “Synthetic anaerobic niches and their potential role in mercury methylation”.
- “A new approach for niche structuring by spatial assembling of microsized microbial 3D structures” – This one, led by Dmitrii Deev, received the FEMS Microbiology Ecology Poster prize.
All submitted works were directly linked to the SURFBIO project: they promoted ideas of Bicolloid Science and the latest achievements in cell-surface and cell-cell interactions made by the Laboratory for Colloid Biology, within the Department of Environmental Sciences of the Jožef Stefan Institute.